Sunday, February 3, 2013

Library Tour


On February 1, 2013 Professor Sweeney's class met in the library for a tour of the library. At first I thought that it would be boring because a library is just a room to store books. However the tour turned out to be very informative. I use to have trouble figuring out what’s real and what is not on the internet. From the tour I was taught the “C.R.A.P.P” (Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose) method. Using this helpful method will help me determine what is ok to believe from the internet. I had never been upstairs in RBC’s Library. It was not like downstairs. It is so quiet up there I can hear a pen drop. Upstairs in the library has many cool features such as moving selves (That I was picked to push the button for, which is a very cool thing), and Student study rooms for if we need space to do a group activity outside of class we can get the key from the desk and reserve the room for 2 hours. Another thing I found convenient was the ability to download e-books from my own laptop which saves a lot of time and eliminates the due date problem because after the e-book is due it will just simply delete itself from your computer. You also could use a button from Google to preview the first few pages and tables of content from the book. I think that is helpful because, you can see if that is actually a book you would consider using. For citations it’s a helpful handout on the RBC library page that will give you the basics on how to cite papers in MLA format. Inter-library Loan is also a helpful thing. There is a link called “WorldCat” and that will show you books you might want that RBC doesn't have. However RBC can get books from any other college in Virginia for me to use. I found this library tour to be very interesting and I think everybody should take advantage of it. It is very helpful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment